Friday 5 July 2013

A week off and Oakamoor 5 mile, 770' ascent

Staffordshire Moorlands AC - Oakamoor Hilly, Multi Terrain, 04/07/13 and general reflections including socky issues.

Not a good start to this week.  I bailed on the North Devon Marathon due to my nagging leg injury.  I just couldn't face more than 400 miles of driving, uncertain food and outrageously expensive camping with a leg I didn't trust to stay the course.

I have had a short break from work this week, which usually means an orgy of running in the Peak district.  In an attempt to rehabilitate my injury I have foregone that pleasure.  I am hoping to increase my weekend back to backs over the next few weeks while keeping weekly mileage to around 40 miles or less.  In this way I hope to be fit for the Long Tour of Bradwell in August.  With luck I will have support for that event which is only a short drive away.


Looking back towards town on the footpath from Burgess's Wood to Watermill's Wood on my lovely local five and a half.  

A very pleasant five and a half mile run on Tuesday had given me even less confidence in my leg.  I arrived at Oakamoor determined to do something, but prepared for a DNF result!  In consequence I was extra thorough with warming up and stretching, even doing some fast shuttle runs which is unheard of for me.  Poor Sarah was in a worse state than I, her collection of injuries is preventing her from running.  She decided to come along and marshal which was fortunate for me.


Bridge and Weir on the River Churnet

The route started by the old signal box on Mill Road and followed the road for around a quarter mile before heading up Red Road then into Moss's Banks.  This first, and most of the subsequent ascent, was on very narrow paths which made overtaking difficult.  This was a little frustrating for me as ascent is where I tend to gain a little time.


Gathering for the start on Mill Road

The following running in woods, zig - zagging and turning about before reaching Mill Pond was very pleasant indeed.  The views were beautiful - sweeping, textured layers of subtle green shades I cannot share as my phone does not resolve leaves well.   A fluo' jacketed Sarah was at a couple of the junctions.  Supportive as marshals always are, it was especially nice to have a personal touch to the encouragement.

I held my own on the steeper descents.  I feel I am making a lot of progress in this area of technique, though it has to be admitted that recent runs have been rather less demanding than, say, the Manx Mountain Marathon (now 'Isle of Man Mountain Ultra').  The gentle declines were another matter and a few of those used to a fast pace overtook me.

Most of the real ascent and descent was over in the first three miles.  There remained a brief and pleasant 60' of up and down after Lord's Bridge then a mile of almost flat running along the Churnet Way.  This last mile was on 'good' trail.  Here my Walshes, which had served me well earlier, began to be a pain in the neck (well feet actually).  The lack of padding and less than plush insoles made themselves felt, though to be fair I think there was sand in them.

I was now feeling tired and dehydrated and expected hordes of runners to swarm past me on the fast flat.  Strangely, it did not happen, perhaps everyone was as tired and dehydrated as I was.  I always think of other runners as uber human machines as even those who finish long behind me seem to be able to muster far more dignity than I can.

I tried not to think about my feet and, as I trusted the pace of proximate runners, tried to maximise my efficiency while keeping up.  This was reasonably successful, by lengthening my stride and concentrating on a 'gliding' gait I maintained speed while reducing my breath count from one in five to the one in seven paces I maintain during ascent-descent.  I was rather glad to see the finish line which promised rest for my feet, a drink and a dousing with cold water.  I finished in about 43.5 minutes which I felt was a little slow compared with Buxton at a similar distance and more ascent.  All the same I think my position will turn out to be similar.  



A nice if rather poor photo of a runner at the finish.  See what I mean about dignity?  I won't distress readers with an image of myself for comparison, though they can be found elsewhere on this blog.

I sat at a picnic table to pull on another layer and change shoes.  A few St. John's personnel gathered at the table which turned out to be fortunate when my left eye was invaded by a foreign body.  I managed to wash it out, after several attempts, with what was left in my 3 litre 'shower' bottle.  After pronouncing the body gone, one of the St. John's kindly gave me a vial of saline in case of any problems later.  Sarah and I found each other and retired to the pub.  It was good to chat with the growing number of people I have met at this series.  As always, good company turned a short run into a great evening out.


Friday and my leg is better than it has been for a fortnight despite my long legged gait at the finish.  I do have sores on four toes though and yes there was sand in my shoes and socks.  I often think fell runners socks need to be washed both sides.  I frequently find particles trapped in the toes when I turn them inside out. 

I make this route 4.87 miles and 771' ascent, equivalent to a BS.

I look forward to the remaining events in this series and thank Sarah for introducing me.  I can't think why I didn't do it last year.  Too busy doing ten to fifteen mile midweek runs I suppose.  I am not sure how useful those runs were physically, there is no doubt that they were very good for my confidence.  Long weekend back to backs are always hard work, I felt real achievement when that midweek run became no big deal.  It made me smile to think I was running three times as far as on my 'long' run, when I first started.

No comments:

Post a Comment