Tuesday 31 July 2018

Chrome and Parkhouse Hills revisited

Chrome and Parkhouse hills

I recently had the opportunity to revisit Chrome and Parkhouse hills.  This time I had the benefits of company, a printed map and OsmAnd on my phone.  The route I planned was slightly different to the one I intended last time, I also reversed the direction.  This made a good circular route of 6.24 miles with 1348' of ascent (216' per mile).

The route was started from Earl Sterndale again, there are also a few parking spaces in Hollinsclough.  I took the path that initially heads north west between buildings by the Quiet Woman, this time.  I was very glad of OsmAnd later, due to a bogus path (much clearer on the ground than the proper path) on  the route out of Hollinsclough.  It can be seen clearly on the satellite view on the map below (not yet on OSM, I will add it soon).  Only a few degrees away from the virtually invisible proper path, it is easy to follow for some way before noticing you are too far up the valley side. OsmAnd with a GPS position showed the error clearly.

 Narrow stone bridge over the River Dove.  A particularly pleasant oasis of green in these parched times.

The correct path leads down to the Dove, which is crossed on a gorgeous, narrow, little stone bridge.  A track, probably a drove road leads past Leycote to Booth Farm.  This track must have been important at some time, some considerable trouble to pave the surface with stone blocks had been taken.  I should imagine the paved parts could be slippery when wet.  A road is joined then soon left for the public footpath towards Stoop Farm.  This footpath is followed until it ends at a road, the concessionary path over Chrome and Parkhouse hills begins at this junction.

Parkhouse Hill from Chrome Hill, looking a little parched compared to when I was here last year.



This is a cracking route with a reasonable amount of ascent. The path out of Hollinsclough was boggy in places, even in the current drought, so I guess it can get pretty yucky. The drove road is quite magical, one can feel the history somehow. Going round clockwise leaves the main attractions until last, and they do not disappoint. 

 

Update

I had the pleasure of showing these hills to another friend, back in 2019. I took the opportunity to use the initial part of the route out that I had used when I ran here the first time. From the descent of Parkhouse, I followed the path I had used to start last time.  The route is shown below, it is now my preferred route, though will not suit those who wish to get 'stuck straight in'.  Personally, I'm happy to cover several extra miles for the pleasure of experiencing terrain with character.  In this case, the deviation adds only half a mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment