Wednesday 1 May 2013

Nothing conclusive

Still in leg pain limbo

There was still some pain in my left leg before I started the weekend's back to backs.  I ran with the new orthotics in my Crosslite 2s, I had been wearing them round the office for a few days to bed them in.  The orthotics were not uncomfortable, though they do take up considerable room in the shoe and move my toes forward.  This caused a little soreness but nothing that a little taping couldn't fix.


I ran around 27 miles on Saturday, the pain eased after a while.  My biggest problem was that my head seemed to have forgotten that running this distance over the fells is quite hard work.  It doesn't matter how many long runs I do, unless they are close together, I seem to forget that energy levels come and go and that I may feel better at 25 miles than 16.  Indeed I ran up Shutligsloe, at around 23 miles, whereas I had walked up much of Croker Hill from Bosley reservoir at 12.

I was lucky with the weather and managed to dodge all but two short showers, one was light hail that just bounced off.  The wind chill was higher than anticipated and I wished that I had a light wind proof as well as my waterproof jacket.  I was already carrying far too much due to lack of confidence and the remoteness of much of the route.


On the Gritstone Trail, descending Croker Hill on my way to Tegg's Nose

When I got back to the car park at Gradbach I was suffering no more than 'normal' tired legs.  When I woke on Sunday morning, my leg felt better than it had for several days.  My ten miler went without any problems and I enjoyed the green wave that spring has brought and the sight of footpaths that had been submerged for several months.  A few hours later my leg began to get very stiff again.

I ran on Tuesday despite the stiffness (which had persisted) and felt better afterwards.  Today the leg is stiff again.  I am pretty sure I could run for 40 miles, the question is am I aggravating an injury or just hurting.  I will see the physio again tonight, then I really must make a decision about the Brecon 40.  I do not like to mess race organisers about.

No comments:

Post a Comment