Friday 28 April 2017

A new bike, training on dodgy knees, and what have you.

The structural failure of 'The Recycle' immediately following the Easter rebuild was a tragedy.  I reluctantly decided that buying a new bike was going to be the best way of getting back on the road fast.  I rely on a bicycle for commuting and for my general fitness, so speed was of the essence.

I ordered a 2016 model 'Kona Dew' from Tredz,  I was pleased that the bike best fitting my needs, cost less than three quarters of the budget I had allowed.  It arrived on Friday and was customised to my specification on Saturday morning.  I swapped the stock tyres for my narrower Schwalbe Marathons, the Schwalbes should be more puncture resistant.  I swapped the bell (though it was a nice touch to include one with the bike) for my sonorous classic Crane.  I anticipated swapping the seat, but the stock one has proved fine for my daily commute.  I added the essential for me, tool/emergency bag, full mudguards, carrier and lights.

There's a lot happening in the countryside at this time of year.  The new bike by a field we will pass each morning if I adopt an alternative start to my commute.

After a few laps of the block while fine tuning I set off for a longer ride.  This ride proved that the bike was going to be comfortable over the distance to work and allowed me to get used to a wildly different geometry.


Staying fit
Keeping fit since my knees started to let me down has been something of a problem.  I walked when I could, but that just didn't have the cardiovascular intensity required.  Also, I was no longer burning the calories that I used to, and found the tiny meals I had to contend with most unsatisfactory.  Cycling suggested itself as a way of reducing impact on the joints while exercising at moderate intensity and I found the time by using the journey to work.  This does mean getting up at five thirty and commensurate early nights.  I continue to walk in my lunch breaks, happily countryside meets the edge of the estate I work on.

Looking across the Dane to the church in Davenham, a view from my green and pleasant lunchtime walk.

The commute
My current route is 20.5 miles.  I am lucky that at least part of the ride (from Church Lawton to Ettiley Heath) is on very pleasant lanes and off road parts of Cycle Route 5.  I can link home and the cycle route via country lanes, however, this does add to the distance.  An earlier modification that added half a mile proved well worth it so I will evaluate a further addition.

Running
 Until recently, I was feeling the arthritis in both knees more keenly than the injury in my left.  The injury dominates again now (I have to unlock the damn thing every morning when I wake), orthoses/certain shoes do seem to help.

While cycling 40 odd miles four times a week keeps my cardiovascular fitness at the required level for physical and mental health, it doesn't maintain running skills or tone.  I let pain levels dictate what running I do, generally 5 - 7 miles, presently averaging less than once a week.  I err on the side of caution as overdoing it, in the past, has led to layoffs lasting several months.

My muscles ached after Mow Cop, this suggests that I am losing condition which isn't really surprising.  I am going to try to up the number of runs I do, keeping the length of additional runs short.  I will also try to increase the ascent in my runs.  The latter means travelling to run.  Combining an afternoon walking/sightseeing with an hour's run will make the drive seem worthwhile.  I am not inclined to cycle to run, security is too big an issue.


What have you

I treated myself to a Mow Cop Runners 'buff' on Sunday.  I have always admired their black and red colours and I get much more use out of 'memento' buffs than I do out of event 'T's.  Wearing event shirts seems a little ostentatious except when I am among other runners, like at an event camp site.  I do have some tops in technical fabrics, so at least I can run in them.  All the same, you won't get my cotton Manx Mountain Marathon 'T' unless you prise it from my cold dead fingers (I have a Manx Fell Runner's buff too).

The Rainow Five seems to be hot on the heels of Mow Cop this year.  Probably something to do with the late Easter.  I am looking forward to Rainow on Wednesday (03/05/17).  I am going to take mountains of food to eat on the way back.  I will not have time to make a meal after the drive if I am going to be up at 05:30 the next day.  I really enjoyed this event last year.  It's a shame I can't hang around a little longer afterwards.

Cycling to maintain fitness has been a life saver for me.  I think that if I were not commuting I would be tempted to ride too slowly (I enjoy the view better that way).  I may even attempt some touring in my holidays.  I do need to work on packing running skills training into the tiny mileage the condition of my knees will allow.

No comments:

Post a Comment