Wednesday 26 April 2017

Mow Cop Hill Race 2017, 6.5 miles 1200' (BM)

23rd April - I was pleased to be able to take part in Mow Cop Hill Race for, what I am pretty sure is, the eighth time.  While a few preferred to run round London's streets on this bright April Sunday, many of us more sensible types spent our time out on the hills with excellent views of the Cheshire plains, the Peak District, and of course Mow Cop Folly and the Old Man of Mow.

Mow Cop 'Castle' folly.  I took this during the race so all things considered I don't think it turned out too badly.

In common with every other year I have attended this event, organisation was faultless.  Parking and registration were taken care of without fuss.  The weather was bright and though the breeze was not strong, there was a bitter edge to it.  I felt it would be comfortable enough to run in a vest, but wondered if gloves might be a good idea.

Lining up for the start.  This grey light was only temporary.

I started well back as I expected my time to be very slow this year.  This did mean that the short,  steep climb to the playing fields was especially choked, likewise the bottleneck at the first stile.  After the stile I made my way steadily up the hill, the sun shone, stuff didn't hurt too much, I felt good and enjoyed the scenery as I settled into a comfortable pace.

 A lovely April day, green and bright with cracking views over Cheshire.The bright day meant that photographs taken on the hoof didn't have too much shake.

 We seemed to be through the quarry, past the folly and Old Man, and across the road into the woods in no time at all.   I thought the following bog would be dry this year, and indeed it was until nearly the end.  We were suddenly shocked out of a false sense of security by a short, but exceptionally boggy, dip.

A nice grassy trail with the Peak District in the distance.  You can just make out Shutlingsloe, on the skyline, immediately above the runners.

I was feeling much better than I expected (probably only courtesy of Coop Ibuprofen).  I picked up the pace and caught the group ahead of me.  I passed a few and continued to pass people towards the half way point and beyond.  I felt confident enough to lengthen my stride and 'super cruise' past a few more people on the downhill road section.  This is something I haven't dared do since cartilage injury and arthritis first reared their head.  By the start of the next climb I was starting to feel a little tired and knew I would be slow up to and through the wood.  A few re passed me as I flagged here, but with a couple of exceptions I held my own from there on to the finish.  I accidentally took the curved path of the 'D' by the Old Man which cost me a good few seconds, though at my age and in my condition I don't really bother with seconds.

Every marshal we passed now encouraged us with 'not far now, all down hill then tea and cake'.   As I ran back down the green hill in the third photo, I just felt so glad to be out and lapping up the outdoors.  I finished, tired, but pleased that my knees were giving me very little grief.  I had a feeling that despite slowing on the last long climb my time wasn't too bad.  Nonetheless I was quite shocked to find that I had managed to get round in less than 1:10 (1:09:12)!  That's so much better than anything I have managed since my disintegrating knees first asserted themselves

 The promised tea and cake, or some of it.  This snap is from before the race during the setting up.  Well I wasn't going to get a look in afterwards was I?  

Congrats to all who took part, thanks to the organisers, the marshals and bakers and cup of tea makers and all others responsible for the support that makes this event possible.  As usual results were up before we left the village hall, if you haven't already found them, they are here.  The Mow Cop Runners web site and links to filtered results is here.

After the run, left to right:  Paul Stevenson (M50 1:07:25), ?, Simon Bray (M40 1:01:56), Trevor Hibbert (M40 1:02:34) .

No comments:

Post a Comment